The Fifth Annual Women Building the Nation Conference (WBNC), co-sponsored by the Building and Construction Trades Department, AFL-CIO, will be held during the weekend of May 1–3, 2015 in Los Angeles, California. You will find the "Save the Date" form for the conference here.
General President Walter Wise accepted an invitation to speak at the WBNC last year and had the opportunity to experience the conference firsthand and learned a great deal about the event and the incredible amount of information and support available to those who attend. The conference reconfirmed the Iron Worker's support for this worthwhile event. Seeing the dedication our sisters have to their union and their craft and the inclusive and supportive nature of the event have renewed beliefs that every female member should be given an opportunity to attend the event at least once during their career.
The Iron Workers International and IMPACT will, once again, sponsor a "scholarship" for two female members from each regional advisory board to attend the WBN Conference. Scholarships include registration, transportation and hotel accommodations for three nights stay. Please read the below WBNC scholarship information. IMPACT will be accepting nominations for scholarship recipients until March 31. Please email email@example.com the name, member number and reason for your nomination of any female member you believe would be a good candidate to represent the Iron Workers at the conference.
The Women Building the Nation Conference plays a key role in raising morale and our ability to attract and retain ironworker sisters in our union. Last year, there were 126 Iron Worker members who attended this informative and worthwhile event. With a hope of an increased number of attendees this year, ironworker women will have the opportunity to be inspired and to advocate for improvements in our trade and to take more responsibility—on the job and in their locals.
For more information on the event, please visit 2015 Women Building the Nation.
Women Building the Nation Conference Scholarships
Conference Dates: May 1-3, 2015
Nominations will be accepted via email until March 31, 2015 at firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarship recipients will be announced the first week of April 2015.
An orientation packet will be sent via email to all recipients and their local union the second week of April, following the selection of scholarship recipients.
Eligibility: Any active female Iron Worker Union member.
Nominations: Nominations will be accepted from local union leadership, JATCs, employers or any active Iron Worker Union member and should include the name, member number, a brief bio and the reason you believe your nominee would be a good candidate to represent the Iron Workers at the conference.
- The Iron Workers/IMPACT will register and pay the WBN Conference fee for recipients once the scholarships have been awarded.
- A registration confirmation will be included in the orientation packet sent to recipients the second week of April.
Hotel accommodations for the duration of the conference (3 nights)
- The Iron Workers/IMPACT has reserved and will assume the cost of hotel accommodations for each scholarship recipient to include the room rate plus all taxes and fees.
- A hotel confirmation number will be included in the orientation packet distributed to recipients once the scholarships have been awarded.
- The scholarship does NOT include any additional services or items charged to the room. Any services or items charged to the room are the responsibility of the individual and must be settled at checkout. Any charges not settled prior to departure will be billed to the individual by the hotel.
Transportation costs (airfare or mileage/tolls/parking)
- The scholarship will reimburse for the cost of either airfare or mileage incurred relating to transportation to and from the Conference to include any tolls or parking expenses.
- Attendees should plan their travel to arrive prior to the Meet & Greet at 5:30 p.m. Friday evening with a departure on Monday morning. The hotel has shuttle service to and from the airport.
- For travel reimbursement it will be necessary to submit original receipts (retaining a copy for your records), scholarship recipient's name and the address where the reimbursement should be mailed. The receipts, name and address should be sent to Patty Hughan, International Iron Workers Union, 1750 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20006.
For more information, please contact Patty Hughan via email at email@example.com or via phone at 202-383-4844.